Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ten on the tenth! (warning!!! lots of quick lists...long and jam packed with lots of information and links to click on)...

Edited* - Ok, Ok....I know that this didn't get posted till the 11th....oh well....but still was meant for the 10th...LOL

Can you believe we are already 10 (well, actually now it is 11...but it was ten when I was writing this....HA!)  days into 2007?  2006 flew by and I guess they all seem to do that the older I get...I know especially since I have had children they have flown by very quickly!  I intended for this post to come on New Year's Eve and that is how I originally starting developing it...but plans changed and I didn't get the post ready in time....so I thought tonight I can still do this...and just make 10 lists of our top ten things....so here you go....10 different lists with the top 10 in each category.  Shane and the girls helped me out on the post by coming up with their list...plus I asked Shane to give me some ideas....so that it isn't just from the female perspective....plus I want him to use this site too to update and communicate with family and friends...but so far no luck!  :)

So a little Top Ten  post to help bring in the new year...remember these are in no particular order and just the top ten for each of us this year....I helped the girls a little with their lists...but they did most of it on their own!  I was proud of them for that!  Shane and I struggled with our lists a little bit....but it was good.  It made us stop and think about some things!!!  I kept trying to explain to Shane that it doesn't have to be a list of top ten things.....

I explained to him that it can be an event, a person, a website, a new toy, a bargain, a game, a funny email or story...ANYTHING...just something that was significant to you in 2006....Enjoy!  And this is for everyone...feel free to take this idea and run with...consider yourself tagged and give us your Top Ten of Most Memorable for 2006.

Shane's Top Ten of 2006:

10) Sunday nights after church with dinner and watching Extreme Home Makeover.

9) Mike Shula was fired as the head football coach of Alabama and the fiasco of a coaching search. Come on coach Saban! Come to Bama!   (Edited** - Yes, we got him!!!  Woo Hoo! )

8) Was clued into the computer game World of Warcraft and have been playing every since.

7) Finally got to go out with my wife for several hours and no kids on our anniversary. We hardly ever get time to ourselves, so that was a big deal.

6) After changing job positions to get back into programming, I managed to get my old job back when the funding for the new job ran out unexpectedly. Also, I survived funding cuts in September and December on my new/old job. It has been an interesting year at work.

5) Watching Mallory’s soccer games and practices.

4) Getting to know and try to understand the diva in Kennedy. Here is a memorable quote from Kennedy…”Daddy, you’re an idiot.”

3) Got to watch, in person, my high school football alma mater win the state 5A championship with my daughter, Mallory. Go Golden Eagles! Now all I have to do is watch my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers win the Super Bowl  and I’ll have seen my three favorite football teams win it all in person!!! (Athens – 2006, Alabama – 1992, Pittsburgh - ????)

2) Got to see several of the kids that I teach/have taught in the 5th and 6th grade bible class at West Hobbs Street Church of Christ be baptized and added to the Church. It is always a thrill to get to see that.

1) Parker Shane Jewell was born!

Heather's Top Ten of 2006:

  1. Our family grew by two feet this year...Parker Shane joined us in May!  It has been a pure joy having him here and watching him grow and change.
  2. Started my blog this year and have learned many things about code, weblogs, linking, etc....that I didn't know before.  It has been so much fun keeping it current and meeting so many new friends because of my blog! Cheryl, Amy, Traci, Lindey, Jolene, Jamie....and these are just a few!!!  (of course I could mention Telah and Leah, but I already knew them...LOL)
  3. Still coping with some very hard losses this year...losing someone you love and grieving with your dearest friends teaches you a lot about life and the brevity of life.  Two losses this year that will impact our family for many years to come...Mrs. Zelma and Sydney Kathleen...(love you Danny and Tandy and we are still praying for you) ....and I am grateful for what we have learned and how we have grown as a family!
  4. Mallory's soccer games on Saturdays and dance class every Monday with Kennedy, Jolie, and Jessie! 

How fun!  The girls have had a blast!  Here is Kennedy with her dance teacher.  This is her first year to take and she really looks forward to it every Monday!  We have a little tradition of going to McDonald's and getting lunch before we go to dance class and she likes doing that...I like it to!  It is something that just she and I get to do together and it is special for her...I know, I know, McDonald's is not my dream restaurant...but it is for Kennedy!  :)

5.  Gatlinburg Trip with my "Sisters"...staying in a beautiful cabin...sleeping, eating, and scrapbooking...and a little shopping.  Ahhh...it was so nice!

6.  Reconnecting with some friends from my college days...Joey and Jennifer, Danny and Jennifer, Jay and April, Crystal, David and Erin, Tony and Laura....and some others are out there...I have missed so, so much for such a long time and this past year I felt like I made some reconnections with long time friends...(I don't know how many of you will see this or even visit this blog....but if you do leave us a comment, email us and let us know how you are doing.) 

7.  Taking my first photography class...or at least attempting to attend with my buddy Melissa...I want to take more and learn a lot more about photography and editing programs.

8.  Camp Ney-A-Ti Mini Camp with Mallory for the first time...we had a blast and it was great to spend time with my girl!!!!

9.  Parker's stay in the hospital at 6 weeks old...very scary to me and still very memorable to me.  Thankfully everything turned out ok...and he certainly is a strong, healthy, hearty baby boy!  :)

10.  Painting and decorating the nursery for Parker.  It was so much fun and I learned that  I was a lot more crafty than I ever knew I was....I really enjoyed painting the farm animals and doing the artwork for his nursery.  It was fun finally getting to decorate for a little boy!  :)

Mallory's Top Ten for 2006:

  1. I got a digital camera for Christmas!
  2. I got a new baby brother for my birthday!
  3. My favorite movie that I saw was Princess Stories DVD.
  4. I got to go to Club Libby Lu for my birthday party with my friends Jenny and Alli.

 

 

 

 

 

5.   My favorite game was Trouble.  (I was shocked by this considering how much she begged for Operation...but oh well...I wanted this to be her list not mine)

6.  One of my favorite trips was going to Build A Bear Workshop and making a cheerleader bear that I named Bama.

7.  My favorite book is the Bible. (So proud of this kiddo....this answer was with no prompting from us and I just loved the answer)

8.  I love the color pink! 

9.  My favorite place to eat was Rainforest Cafe.

10.  I lost my first and second tooth! 

Kennedy's Top Ten for 2006:

  1. My favorite thing to eat is fruit! (I like bananas, oranges, strawberries, and apples.
  2. My favorite movie that I watched was Dora Easter Egg Hunt.
  3. I love the color purple!
  4. My favorite game to play is Disney Scene It.
  5. My favorite place to was McDonald's...big shock there!  NOT!
  6. My favorite book was Dora's Easter Basket.
  7. My favorite place to go was the Disney Store in the mall and to the skating rink.
  8. I started taking ballet and tap dancing classes and I love going to class with my buddies Jolie and Jessie.
  9. My favorite toy is my pink Leapster.

10.  I got to celebrate my birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese.

Top Ten Favorite New Toys from 2006:

I thought that you might like to see some of the cool finds (or at least I think they are cool) that my kids received this year either for birthday or Christmas...from us or someone else in the family....

  1. Mega Mask
  2. Air Hockey and Pinball portable game
  3. Fisher Price Digital Camera
  4. Fridgi Gears
  5. Magnetix Blocks
  6. Betty Spaghetti
  7. Leapster and game cartridges
  8. Knock It Down Block Town (Domino set)
  9. Buckaroo Game
  10. Chutes and Ladders

Top Ten Favorite Reading Materials:

  1. Scrapbooing Magazines ( BHG Scrapbooks, SS, CK,)
  2. My Bible
  3. Tom Clancy novels
  4. J.R.R. Tolkien
  5. Online news
  6. Marianne Richmond Books
  7. Junie B. Jones
  8. Beverly Lewis Series
  9. Blogs
  10. Taste of Home Magazine

Top Ten Favorite Websites we have found and/or like to visit daily:

  1. We 8 There (restaurant reviews) 
  2. Humor with/clean jokes
  3. Two Peas In A Bucket
  4. VideoCure
  5. The 9
  6. Polka Dot Potato
  7. ESPN
  8. Christian Answers (movie reviews)
  9. Birthday Alarm
  10. Fact Monster

Top Ten Favorite Songs and Videos:

  1. My Wish - Rascal Flatts
  2. Par Avion - Mike and the Mechanics
  3. In My Daughter's Eyes - Martina McBride
  4. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
  5. Waiting On The World To Change - John Mayer
  6. Everybody's Fool - Evanescence
  7. I Hope You Dance - LeAnne Womack
  8. Spoken For - MercyMe
  9. Something's Always Wrong - Toad the Wet Sprocket
  10. Dream Big - Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband

Top Ten Sporting Event and teams:

  1. I.U. Basketball
  2. Alabama Football
  3. Marshall Football
  4. Firing Coach Shula hiring Coach Saban
  5. Firing Coach Davis and hiring Coach Sampson
  6. Pittsburgh Steelers winning Super Bowl '06
  7. Athens Golden Eagles winning State 5A Championship
  8. Rutgers unbelievable season in football
  9. Atlanta Braves Baseball
  10. Alabama Basketball (Too bad they got thumped by Arkansas in their first SEC game)

Top Ten Restaurants and foods:

  1. Macaroni Grill (yum, yum, yum)
  2. P.F.Changs (the first time we at this restaurant was in Palm Springs, California....since then we try to find one whenever we are traveling...we have been to this restaurant in Nashville, Houston, Washington DC, and I hear there is one in B'ham....also I think Huntsville is getting one in the new mall.....)
  3. Outback (gotta love those bloomin' onions....or at least Shane does.  But they don't love him...)
  4. Red Lobster
  5. Olive Garden
  6. Sarge's Shack (yummy rice)
  7. Fast Food- Wendy's and Burger King
  8. Dominos Pizza
  9. Steak Out
  10. All Steak (Cullman, Alabama)

Whew!  I know this is a long post....but I wanted something to get my husband and children involved...plus...this was a great tool to help journal some for my Year in Review scrapbook...and I wanted to share some things with you that maybe reveal a little more about us!  Plus, there are some good links here and I always am excited when I find something new or a cool website to visit. 

More later...:)



6 comments:

Telah said...

Very cool post, my friend! You deserve some kind of blogging medal for that one. I can't believe that "White and Nerdy" didn't make your top ten fav songs! You better save that one for the circle journal!

Jamie said...

Great Post!

Jamie said...

Me Again... I love that song!

Leah said...

Loved this post.. learned a lot! Also glad to hear in another posts that you guys are on the mend. I didn't realize you all were dealing with so many cooties, lol... and one other final note because I seem to keep missing you online.. send me the journal stuff you were talking about in my faces of a girl post. love ya!

Bethany said...

Cool! This is a great way to get your kids involved and it's a neat way to record top 10s too! Thanks for sharing all this about you and your family!

Jolene George said...

Boy! You weren't kidding...that was packed full of great information. What a neat post! http://jolenegeorge.blogspot.com/

 

Template and Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations