Thursday, December 1, 2011

Adversity makes you STRONGER...

Recently, I was sent a card from my dear sweet aunt and it reminded me of a very important life lesson.  Within the note, written in the card were these words..."A wise old man once told me that adversity makes you strong."  Since receiving this card I have read it over and over again.  That wise old man was one of the dearest souls you would ever want to know and I am proud to call him my uncle.  I miss him terribly and I think about him so often.  Reading that card put a smile on my face and in my heart because I could hear his voice saying those words to me.  The last few months have not been easy for my little family...in fact they have been pretty tough.  But, we are holding tight to God's Word and to the promise that He will never leave us!  The adversity that my family has faced over these last few months has made us stronger as a family and I know it is making me a stronger individual.

No one is exempt from problems.  From the palace to the poorhouse, men and women throughout the ages have fought and conquered adversity in their lives.

Queen Esther risked losing her only relative and her people.  Using her influence, she saved the Israelites from destruction.  Interestingly, the Jewish name for Esther means "Hadassah," which comes from the word myrtle - the tree whose leaves only release fragrance when they are crushed.

Are you facing adversity?  Perhaps your faith has brought reproach or daily struggles have robbed your faith.  Regardless, the scriptures ease the crush of adversity, releasing the sweet fragrance of God's overcoming power.

Scriptures dealing with adversity:

James 5:13 - Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms.

 I Peter 1:7 - In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ


I Peter 4:12-13 - Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you;  but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christs sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy.  If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Enjoyed your inspiration and perspective! I needed to hear this today! I haven't had to deal with physical problems this week like you are having to deal with, but have certainly had my fair share of emotional woes this week. Thank you for sharing encouragement! Love u! Sis

 

Template and Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations